Derived from plants or algae via biofermentation, Saccharide Isomerate is a polysaccharide that mimics a carbohydrate complex found in outermost layer of human skin. Topically, it functions as a water-binding agent (humectant), emollient, barrier enhancer, and microbiome protectant.
Binding to the skin’s corneocytes, it continues to improve hydration until shed by the skin’s natural process of desquamation. Unlike other humectants, it improves moisture levels up to 72 hours with a single application and is effective in low humidity environments. It stimulates genes governing skin barrier improvement, protecting skin from environmental stressors – pollution, high/low humidity, UVA/UVB light, and organic contaminants. Also known as PENTAVITIN® (patented by DSM Nutritional Products, LLC), Hyanify™ (Lipotec USA), or Cellynkage™ (Lipotec USA.), Saccharide Isomerate helps to improve the signs of aging by boosting hyaluronic acid levels within the skin.
- Immediate and sustained surface hydration – up to 72 hours - with a single application, at 3% concentrations.
- 40% improvement of hydration levels after 2 weeks, applied twice daily at 1.5% concentrations (in vivo).
- +113% smoother dermal surface or microrelief structure for menopausal women – enhanced skin thickness, density and rejuvenation (in vivo).
- 20% reduction in transepidermal water loss (TEWL), after 28 days at 1% applied twice daily (in vivo).
- 66% increase of hyaluronic acid synthesis within the skin, restoring loss of volume (in vitro).
- Up tp 70.6% reduction of wrinkle depth within one month (in vivo).
- 19.6% average improvement of nasolabial folds after 28 days, applied 1% concentration twice daily (in vivo).
- Strengthens and repairs skin barrier, diminishing skin’s vulnerability to damage from pollution, high/low humidity, UVA/UVB light, and organic contaminants (in vitro).
- 22% reduction in sensitivities caused by Alpha Hydroxy Acids (in vivo).
- Enhances a healthy microbiome by nourishing the skin-friendly and minimizing damaging microflora (in vivo).
- Minimizes skin dryness associated with hand sanitizer in formulations with up to 70% alcohol - 14% improvement to hydration after 3 hours (in vivo).
- Effective in topical applications ranging between 0.5% -3%. Results are dose-dependent.
- Visible skin improvements observed within as little as 1 hour after initial application, peaking after one month.
- Well tolerated by all skin types – sensitive, rosacea-prone, and acne-prone.
- Plant-Derived (Corn, Wheat, or Algae)
DSM Consumer Study, March 2014
Hyanify™, Lipotec USA, Technical Report, September 2012, Revision 3.
International Journal of Cosmetic Science, 2019 Oct; 41(5): 411-424, Facial skin mapping: from single point bio‐instrumental evaluation to continuous visualization of skin hydration, barrier function, skin surface pH, and sebum in different ethnic skin types.
Journal of Clinical & Experimental Dermatology Research, 2018, 9:2, Genetic Customization of Anti-aging Treatments.
Journal of Marine Grugs, 2018 Feb; 16(2): 69, Exopolysaccharides from Marine and Marine Extremophilic Bacteria: Structures, Properties, Ecological Roles and Applications.
Calcified Tissue International, 2003 Sep, 73(3): 232-236, Systemic effects on bone healing of a new hyaluronic acid-like bacterial exopolysaccharide.
Biochemical Journal, 2007 Jun1; 404(pt 2): 327-336, Growth factor regulation of hyaluronan synthesis and degradation in human dermal fibroblasts: importance of hyaluronan for the mitogenic response of PDGF-BB.
Journal of Microorganisms, 2020 Nov, 8 (11): 1834, Microbial Reference Frames Reveal Distinct Shifts in the Skin Microbiota after Cleansing.
International Journal of Cosmetic Science, 2016 Jun; 38(3): 217-223, Consequences of urban pollution upon skin status.
SÖFW. Seifen, Öle, Fette, Wachse, 1995, Vol 121, Num 14, 1013-1017, Reduction of AHA irritation potential by inclusion of a saccharide isomerate.
Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, 2014 May; 7(5): 36-44, Moisturizers for Acne: What are their Constituents?