After sunscreen, the most important step to better skin is a reliable cleansing system. Contrary to long-standing skincare advice, that excludes toners. Mostly water-based, a toner is a leave-on product and final step in a cleansing routine. They foretell the inadequacies of the cleansing system – poor cleansing, over-stripping, or improper pH. If you are still using a toner, I will question your choice of cleansers.
Here’s 5 reasons to banish toner from your skincare routine:
- Effective cleansers remove excessive oils and impurities, leaving behind no residual traces. Many highly alkaline and single-step cleansers do not, nor are they doing your skin any favors. Consider shopping for cleansing system that performs as intended, rather than relying on an additional product to make up for any short-comings.
- Cleansers suited to your skin type, do not over-strip or irritate skin. If your skin consistently feels tight, dry, flaky, or irritated after cleansing, the chances are good that you are using the wrong cleanser. Rather than risk chronic inflammation, try switching a gentler, sulfate-free cleanser.
- Thorough cleansing does not require pH disruption. The pH of skin ranges from 4.5 to 6.5. Although skin will naturally re-adjust after exposure to anything outside this range, avoid any pH extremes to prevent damaging the skin barrier. Look for cleansers with a neutral pH (5.5 – 6.0) or described as “gentle”.
- Many toners contain alcohol, resulting in over-drying, skin barrier damage, and inflammation. High alcohol content skincare can over-strip, even the oily or acne-prone skin types. Far less drying but with a waxy film, fatty alcohols may increase sensitivities or clog pores. If you love using toners, consider switching to an alcohol-free version, an essence, or hydrating mist.
- Toners are a poor delivery system for active ingredients. Water-based products, like toners, usually stay on the outer most layer of the skin, known as the stratum corneum. This waterproof barrier prevents most active ingredients from producing any real benefits to the skin. Reserve splurges on active ingredients for products with effective delivery systems, like serums, treatments, and other emulsions.
When a cleansing system is working properly and suited to your skin type, toner is 100% unnecessary. If not, look for a new cleanser. Consider a double-cleanse approach with a cleansing oil followed by a water-based cleanser. A perfect way to the about-face cleansers is our cleansing kit is more than 20% discounted As always, feel free to share your thoughts or questions.
Cheers to better skin!